We sort of have to win today after the result last night. Okay, we don't have to and many don't think top two or even winning the Championship is possible, but winning today, puts us about Sheffield United. Now, we should be above Sheffield United when all things are equal.
But that is a key word because not all things are equal. Just because they are Millwall, it doesn't mean we are going to win. But we are at Villa Park and if the manager wants us to win, then we should.
In case you forgot, it's also Christmas quite soon and this is when I think the squad the manager has will start to show it's value. There are ten games between now and the end of January and that is why I think we might see some changes today.
But either way, I think today comes down to our quality and our approach to the game. We should have more all over the park and I mean no disrespect to Millwall, it's only that we have more revenue and we still have money coming from the Premier League that we can afford to do this. It's fortune.
So, back an hour before kick-off, some free content below in case you've not seen it.
And I saw a story or link on the other post, about a new contract for Gabby. I think it's fair to say that this wont happen. The manager isn't going to speak ill of a player under contract. And if asked the question, what else can he say?
Match facts from the BBC
- This is the first league meeting between these sides since the 1989-90 season, when both were in the top flight, with Villa winning 1-0 at home with a goal from David Platt.
- They met most recently in the fourth round of the FA Cup in 2012-13, when Millwall won 2-1 at The Den with a last-minute goal from John Marquis.
- Villa have so far won 18 league matches in 2017 - their best tally in a calendar year since 2008 (when they also 18). They last won more than 18 in 1998, when they won 21 Premier League matches.
- Millwall have not won back-to-back Championship matches since winning three in a row between May and August 2014.
- Albert Adomah's 10 league goals this season have been worth 11 points this season to Aston Villa. Only Sheffield United's Billy Sharp (12) has won more points for his team in the Championship.
- Steve Morison has had more shots (44) than any other Championship player without scoring this season.