The last away game of the season usually results in a lot of fancy dress and if what I’ve seen coming out of Euston this morning is anything to go by then what’s about to take place in Southampton won’t be a disappointment.
But for all the celebrations that the last away game of the season is usually associated with, the common theme the past few seasons has been survival and when you’re going into the last away game of the season sill with the possibility of relegation, getting three points today would be a great excuse for a party.
And that’s basically what we’re playing for today. It’s not complicated and we don’t need to win. Not losing would be good and it could be enough but as we're kicking off early, there not going to be any real way to know unless we pick up three points and then it can be a party.
And you know what, it can happen and Tim Sherwood has once again somehow this week taken all the pressure off the players. We can win today and I sort of expect us to give it a proper good go.
- Tim Sherwood's side have won consecutive games. It's five years since they last won three league matches in a row.
- Villa still need a point to eclipse their lowest final total in a Premier League campaign of 38 points, which they got in 2011-12 and 2013-14.
- They are the lowest Premier League scorers away from home, with 12 goals in 18 matches. However, Villa have scored eight goals in their last four away matches, one more than they managed in their previous 22 league fixtures on the road.
- Tom Cleverley has scored in three successive Premier League matches. He had scored just three times in his previous 89 top-flight appearances.
- Christian Benteke has scored 10 goals in his last nine Premier League appearances. He has made 98 appearances for Villa in all competitions, scoring 48 goals.
Updates and all that
And with that, it's time to make things happen. Team news coming up soon and if anyone hears anything, post it below. Me, I'm going to go get some food. Desperate for a bacon sandwich. Back in plenty of time for the match.