Derby and Bristol drew last night and that means we drop to fifth. But it also means that if we can get three points today, we'll be three points from an automatic promotion place. It's not a bad place to be with so many games to go.
And it's Barnsley today and despite their position in the League, this might might not be a walk in the park. You know how they say there are no easy games in the Premier League, well, the only easy game in the Championship is Birmingham City. Barnsley are no Birmingham.
So despite the confidence going into the game, we can't take this type of match as a banker. But if the players we have continue to play the way they have and they use their experience, then we should do well today.
And not wanting to mention any players by name, I hear rumours (watched the video below) that Green could be back today. You all know I'm a fan of Green, but what does the manager do with Snodgrass and Adomah or does Green play more in the middle but then what happens to Grealish?
Maybe he doesn't play today, but it does go to show that there is a lot of talent in the team and with players coming back, it does put us in a good place.
The match is also on TV overseas so it wont be on AVTV. But these matches are the ones where you'll easily get a stream of the match today. Ironic isn't is. But
Match facts from the BBC
- Villa have not beaten Barnsley in a home league game for 46 years - since a 2-0 win in January 1972, with goals from Andy Lochhead and Bruce Rioch.
- Barnsley's 3-0 home defeat at Oakwell in September was their first defeat in four league meetings with Villa.
- Since their 3-1 win at Villa Park in February 2017, Barnsley have won just four of their last 20 away games in the Championship.
- Albert Adomah has had a hand in nine goals in 10 league starts against Barnsley (six goals, three assists), scoring a brace at Oakwell in September.
- Aston Villa have won 11 more points after 27 games this season (47 pts) than at this stage in 2016-17.
- Adam Hammill (39) has created more goalscoring chances without providing a single assist than any other Championship player this season.